ESL teaching certification

If you have a question for an English as a Second Language teacher, please post your message here.

Moderator: Keith Clausen

ESL teaching certification

Postby Mindful Wanderer » Mon, 19 May 2014 11:39:16 -0500

I have had several years of ESL teaching experience overseas...and as a volunteer teaching ESL in my home town in WA state plus more than 10 years of experience as instructor of various courses in the military and as civilian with the Federal government. However, I still do not have my ESL certification. I can't afford the expensive in-class courses advertised by various institutions (like CELTA) so I'll have to settle for an online course to get my certification. I am not sure, however, which institution or course program on line I can take to obtain an ESL certification that would be considered appropriate and acceptable by most ESL schools abroad.
Appreciate hearing from ESL certified teachers to advise me on this matter.

Fred Straight
Mindful Wanderer

How many legs does a cat have?: 4

Re: ESL teaching certification

Postby augtutor.com » Tue, 20 May 2014 06:53:47 -0500

I got TEFL certified using http://www.teflonline.com/

Most international language schools honor this certification and you can get certified for about $220. It was relatively easy... especially if you have taught before. Having taught for many years myself, I was able to breeze through the lessons faster that the time allotted.
augtutor.com

Postby Mindful Wanderer » Mon, 02 Jun 2014 12:36:10 -0500

augtutor.com wrote:I got TEFL certified using http://www.teflonline.com/

Most international language schools honor this certification and you can get certified for about $220. It was relatively easy... especially if you have taught before. Having taught for many years myself, I was able to breeze through the lessons faster that the time allotted.

======================================================================================
Augtutor- Thank you. Yes, I taught ESL in Korea at a language school. I was there on a different job...not teaching English. A Korean employee co-worker recommended me to the school director and got the job. I also volunteered 2012-13 as ESL teacher at the community library in my hometown in WA state. I just completed a self-study ESL course (on my own) so I can breeze through when I take the real certification course. I wish there was a way one could pay a certifying institution to take the exam, pass it...and get certified by the institute who administers the exam. That would be great for those who have the experience teaching but don't have the time to sit in a class nor afford the fee.
I will check out the TEFL certification website you sent. Thanks again, Augtutor.
MINDFUL WANDERER
Mindful Wanderer

Postby Greg85 » Fri, 06 Jun 2014 01:45:33 -0500

Teachers of English as a second language (ESL) work with non-native English speakers to improve their reading, comprehension and speaking of the English language. ESL teachers work with all levels of English learners and receive specific training and credentialing that enables them to work in school settings, community programs and private companies.

These instructors typically work with adult learners, who are generally disciplined and responsive in their studies. It may be more difficult to obtain full-time work in this field, however.
Job Requirements

Typically, public schools and some government-funded literacy programs require ESL teachers to have a postsecondary degree, along with teacher certification. They may earn their degree in education-related specializations. The following table contains essential requirements for ESL teachers:
Common Requirements

If you are looking for a professional English editing service that is affordable, reliable and suggests contextually meaningful changes that will improve your content? EditMyEnglish.org is a startup company that is run by a staff of individuals dedicated to disproving the widespread notion that high quality English editing services cannot be provided online.
Greg85

Return to “%s” Ask an ESL Teacher