working with beginners

If you have a question for an English as a Second Language teacher, please post your message here.

Moderator: Keith Clausen

working with beginners

Postby carsc1 » Sat, 05 Jul 2008 04:17:50 -0500

I am looking for some advice on working with beginning ESL students. What types of activities can I do with a beginning english student? As a regular classroom teacher, how do I help the student adjust to their surrounding when they have little english language skills? Any advice is appreciated. What would an ESL teacher do as they begin to work with new students?
carsc1

How many legs does a cat have?: 4

Re: working with beginners

Postby Cossette » Sat, 11 Oct 2008 10:35:24 -0500

This brings us to the method of teaching. If a students are what we call ZERO English learners , then what we apply to them is the TASK BASED LANGUAGE LEARNING. Task-based language learning (TBLL), also known as Task-based language teaching (TBLT) or Task-based instruction (TBI) is a method of instruction in the field of language acquisition. It focuses on the use of authentic language, and to students doing meaningful tasks using the target language; for example, visiting the doctor, conducting an interview, or calling customer services for help. Assessment is primarily based on task outcome (ie: the appropriate completion of tasks) rather than simply accuracy of language forms. This makes TBLL especially popular for developing target language fluency and student confidence.
Cossette

How many legs does a cat have?: 4

Return to “%s” Ask an ESL Teacher