Assessment: how often?

If you have a question for an English as a Second Language teacher, please post your message here.

Moderator: Keith Clausen

Assessment: how often?

Postby Lara_Alba » Sat, 24 May 2008 03:25:44 -0500

Hello!!

Can anybody give us some advice on how often should we assess our students and why do you prefer this method?

If you could answer me soon I would be very grateful!

Thanks! ;)

Lara and Alba.
Lara_Alba

How many legs does a cat have?: 4

Re: Assessment: how often?

Postby Syl » Sun, 25 May 2008 05:22:44 -0500

Hi, girls:)

I think it's worth testing your pupils and see if they have understood what you teach or not. This assessment is good for both: you and the students. Tests should be given frequently; shorter tests at the beginning of lessons let's say, a 10 questions test to check certain issues, once a week and tests reviewing units, generally at the end of a chapter. Their frequency depends on the time it takes to teach that unit, for example each 3 weeks more or less.

Also, assessment is done during the lesson or when evaluating their tasks - homework, performance taskts or whatever. A follow-up of their performance and checking their progress is a good assessment done constantly. There's no need to give the pupils a formal test done in paper which in my opinion not always really show their knowledge due to many factors: pressure, anxiety, and so on. The best assessment is the one not noticed by the students, because it is real and effective and really shows what they have learned so far.
Syl's English Corner - Learn English and Have Fun
http://www.ginnegar.0catch.com
Syl

How many legs does a cat have?: 4

Return to “%s” Ask an ESL Teacher