Could you correct me if they are wrong?

If you have a question for an English as a Second Language teacher, please post your message here.

Moderator: Keith Clausen

Could you correct me if they are wrong?

Postby cedric2008 » Fri, 18 Apr 2008 03:39:31 -0500

Here are my interpretations. Could you correct me if they are wrong? Thank you.

1.This was the early history of radio. The parallels with dot-com frenzy are eerie. (In fact, the broadcaster RCA used WWW, for world wide wireless, as it's logo.) And the party was just as short:Broadcast companies struggled to turn a profit, stock prices plummeted.

"The parallels" refers to those are similar to dot-com frenzy.
"dot-com frenzy" refers to a mania or a frenzy for dot-com.
"dot-com" here refers to a Dot-com company ,which is a company which does most of its business on the Internet.
"the party " is figuratively used to refer to "a golden period of time for Broadcast companies to develop"

2.All the signs are that life cycle of the internet will continue to parallel that of broadcasting.
"to parallel" here means " to be similar to sth else"

3.For starters, there's the network effect. Just as early television networks got a leg up by approaching advertisers and building a base audience in the 1960s and 1970s, companies that get their metaverses up and running early will poach a lot of custmers from rivals and leave metaverses for another day.

"early television networks got a leg up by approaching advertisers and building a base audience in the 1960s and 1970s" means "early television networks gave themselves a help or an advantage by approaching advertisers and building a base audience in the 1960s and 1970s".
"to get a leg up" means " to give sb a help".
"metaverse" means a fictional virtual world. And how it is used figuratively here? Can you put more understandable " get their metaverses up" and " leave metaverses for another day"

4.We already see important issues emerging around security, network reliability, property legislation and taxation. Down the road, questions of infrastructure, software standards, competibility between potentially competing metaverses may also dog regulators, who will have the additional difficulty of coping with these matters on a global scale.
"Down the road" means "in the future time" or " as a particular something proceeds in that way ".
cedric2008

How many legs does a cat have?: 4

Return to “%s” Ask an ESL Teacher