Mixed nationality or same nationality?

General forums for teachers to post message to other ESL teachers around the world.

Moderator: StudentGuru

Mixed nationality or same nationality?

Postby ellekeng » Fri, 24 Aug 2007 09:29:25 -0500

Hi I recently started teaching a group of Saudi boys in an ELICOS centre in Perth , Australia. The Saudis are a great group to teach, but I think they will benefit from a mixed nationality group. The head of the school feels putting them together at these stages (they are elementary level) is good as they have the same language needs. But the boys are not very happy with this arrangement, as they have come all the way here so that they get exposure to the language and practise more of it. And when I'm teaching in class they tend to speak in Arabic a lot, which defeats the purpose of them being there. Anybody has any ideas as to what I should do? Thanks
ellekeng

Postby ruebini » Fri, 24 Aug 2007 11:36:13 -0500

I'm teaching a a group of Japanese high school studnets rite now. And i understand the frustration you feel when they all break into their mother tongues....which is fine, except in the Language classroom of course. But there are many benefits in teaching a same nationality class, especially when they are mature and responsible. They will most likely (not always though) have similar language problems. Most of the students in my class are pretty good in grammar and writing, but they are very hesitant speakers. So at least i can focus more on speaking generally without feeling guilty that there are other students who may have different needs. But then again, when you have a mixed (nationality and ability) students can learn a lot from each other. i have taught a mixed class before. It was a very satisfying experience. There was always an opportunity to learn about another student's culture. There's also many opportunities for peer learning. I remember a Taiwanese boy who was struggling with pronunciation of the 'r' sound. The Saudi boy next to him did his best to 'coach' him to get the pronunciation right. It was nice to see them working in that manner. Helps to create a good atmosphere in the class too.
ruebini

Postby ruebini » Sat, 25 Aug 2007 03:35:34 -0500

I think it’s good that you have a same nationality class. It’s really useful in the early stages. They can help each other out in their mother tongue. But the teacher has to ensure that students use their first language only to explain some things that they cant in English. You need to be firm with them regarding this. Set it as a rule from the very beginning. Make them pay a fine every time they speak in their fist language for reasons other than those directly involved in the lesson.
ruebini

Postby hardhead » Sat, 25 Aug 2007 04:01:35 -0500

Hello. Um. I think teaching a mixed class is better compared to teaching a class of students of the same nationality. They are definitely more exposed to people of different culture and ability and can learn from each other. With less people of the same nationality around, this prohibits them from speaking by using their mother tongue and have to communicate with the English language to the rest of the class. :lol:
hardhead

WLM: vm_3000@hotmail.com

Postby karyllemia » Wed, 05 Sep 2007 02:11:14 -0500

A mixed nationality is pretty interesting. You get to know the different culture in every country
karyllemia delacruz
karyllemia

Communicative Classroom

Postby bushra » Tue, 13 Nov 2007 12:23:11 -0500

I have studied in the UAE and have taught Somalians, Koreans and Pakistanis. The best strategy that worked with me was that I made them communicate with each other on topics that students are bound to feel the same way and would have the same opinion such as to do homework on a holiday etc. Once it is established that students of other cultures may feel the same way it increases likeness in the class and brings about a common ground. This does reduce the grouping but codeswitching does exist. Language Games with random partners is also a big help.
Bushra
bushra

Re: Mixed nationality or same nationality?

Postby sebadicba » Wed, 23 Jul 2008 07:09:39 -0500

Hi..I think the mix of nationalities is very important. I've been sturying English for a while, always attending English courses in different countries and I remember that particularly in London in a English school called Twin English school in London I was able to real experience a global experiece, having the chance to meet people from all over the world. They also encouarage us to speak in English and get to know other cultures as well.
sebadicba

How many legs does a cat have?: 4

Return to “%s” General Discussions