Which dictionary meaning is to be considered.

This forum is designed to provide students with a general discussion area for English as a Second Language

Moderator: Pam Godbee

Which dictionary meaning is to be considered.

Postby modakindia » Sat, 21 Jun 2014 01:21:46 -0500

English is my Second language. I would like to know the process to have the exact meaning from a dictionary in respect to a sentence.

Example:
David, the youngest of the seven brothers, was a shepherd-boy. Just like other days, he was out on the green hills, dotted with tiny, yellow flowers, minding his flock of sheep. David kept a careful eye on them. They must not wander off. No fierce wild animal must hurt or kill them.
David was good at his job. The sheep knew they were safe when David was with them. He led them to the spots where the grass was fresh and juicy. He found them streams of clear, fresh water so that they could quench their thirst.

How to pick exact meaning from a dictionary considering Parts of Speech, idioms, phrase, etc.?
modakindia

How many legs does a cat have?: 4

Re: Which dictionary meaning is to be considered.

Postby Syl » Fri, 15 Aug 2014 09:03:25 -0500

Hello, modakindia

Sorry for the delay in my answer.

Regarding your question, I think you should read some material on the net about Parts of Speech, there are so many! Unless you know how to recognize a noun, a verb, an adverb, etc., you are not going to be able to locate the exact entry in a dictionary.

:)
Syl's English Corner - Learn English and Have Fun
http://www.ginnegar.0catch.com
Syl

How many legs does a cat have?: 4

Return to “%s” General Discussions